-->

Pages

Monday, June 29, 2015

Death in the Sky: Session 6

This was a little short since we had to play on a weeknight due to conflicting schedules over the weekend.


Ellors watched, fascinated as Nei sang to her computer in the light tones of the Omwati language. Nei looked at Ellors and smiled. After she was sure he was not paying attention, she gave a command that she had built into her device that would show code input on the screen. While this was happening, Nei took the opportunity to install an obfuscated backdoor that could only be accessed (and therefore detected) by using an Omwati interface. With that done, Nei continued working on the code. Once she was finished, she looked over a Ellors.

"So, do I get to see how you formed that security field? That was quite impressive."

"Oh...that..." said Ellors, mysteriously. "That was simply a field jammer that I...modified." Ellors, turned to look at the code that Nei had added to the system. "I see what you did there," he said pointing to a subroutine Nei had added. Nei got was a little nervous because that was the subroutine that contained the backdoor, but she didn’t show it. "You’re adding a layer of encryption to every access to our holonet address. Very nice."

"Well, it should prevent further slicing from other individuals such as myself."

"Indeed it should, I’ll let Mr. Orden know that you have sealed our security hole," Ellors said as he punched a few keys into his pad. Suddenly the door opened and Odon was standing there.

"Right this way, Ms. Sobri," Odon said as he stepped to the side and motioned into the hallway.

"So, I don’t get to see the field jammer, then?" Nei said sadly as she stood.

"There is no time for that, Ms. Sobri," Odon said. "If you’d please come with me."

Nei turned and followed Odon out of the room.

Dex and Liora, could see a door-droid standing at the Skera Heights, where Odon’s penthouse was located.

"We need to check and see if this place is up to code. Let us in." Dex said as he hurriedly approached the door-droid with a slightly grumpy attitude.

Satisfied with Dex’s explanation, the droid stepped to the side as the door slid open. "You will find the superintendent’s office down the hall and to the right, sir. Suite 1019," it said as the mechanical hat on its head tipped.

"Sigh. Thank you, Mr. Doorbot," Dex sighed as he walked through the door.

"No problem, sir. Please, my designation is 3n-7ry. Most people call me 3n for short."

Inside, the apartment foyer evoked the architecture that was popular in the Republic about 1500 years ago, if Dex was not mistaken. However, either the building had been deliberately built in the retro style, or the lift system, computer network interfaces, and security systems had received some serious upgrades. There were comfortable looking sofas built into the corner looking out over the street. Near the sofas was a front desk. A screen on the wall displayed a directory of the residents, and next to that was a row of lifts ready to take anyone to the appropriate floor.

"Alright, Liora, we now have two options. Either go floor by floor, or we try to locate Nei through research."

"Let's try to locate Nei." Liora responded to Dex.

Dex continued walking to the front desk, and asked the receptionist, "Where do you keep your main computer, we’re here to inspect the datacore and make sure it’s functioning within acceptable peramiters, I’d hate for it to shut down, or worse blow the whole place to bits. Or you could just let me sign off on it without actually checking anything, its up to you."

"Hmm," the receptionist said, checking her schedule. "I don’t see us scheduled for an inspection today. Who sent you?"

"Well of course it isn’t scheduled! Who schedules a surprise inspection? There are lives at stake here, and all you care about are schedules! I’m half tempted to just leave and file a report on you!"

"Oh, you bureaucrat types are all the same," she said. "You all think that your little bit of the pie is so important. Well let me tell you what. I’ve been here for 3 years and I have never heard> of a surprise data core inspection."

"Look, I’m having a long day. I’m not a bureaucrat. Look at my clothes. I only have this job because I know machines and didn’t have any other job. If I mess up, they’ll likely fire me, and I’ll be back on the street selling death sticks. So, please just let me take a quick look at the main computer." Dex pleaded somberly.

The receptionist looked at Dex and her face softened a little. "Okay, I’ll let you in this time, but remember to schedule the inspection next time," she said as she grabbed an ID badge, swiped it and handed it to Dex.

"thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment